The Brant Historical Society has been connecting youth with the job market for several decades and assisting with building their skill sets as part of the Youth Employment and Skill Strategy (YESS). Two federal government grants support these positions through Young Canada Works and Canada Summer Jobs.
Young Canada Works
Young Canada Works (YCW) in Heritage Organizations (YCWHO) is an employment program for students. It offers them the opportunity to improve their skills while acquiring practical knowledge in the heritage field.
Full-time positions last from six to 16 weeks. Students may work full-time or part-time.
Note: Priority will be given to employers that submit applications for full-time jobs.
Who can apply
A student may be eligible for employment if they:
- are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (non-Canadians holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
- are legally entitled to work in Canada;
- are between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
- are willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment;
- will not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) during the Young Canada Works (YCW) work assignment;
- have been a full-time high school, college, CEGEP or university student (as defined by their educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW work assignment; and
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW work assignment.
Check back by April 19th to see positions for 2023.
Canada Summer Jobs
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
cover letter and resume.
Canada Summer Jobs is provided through Employment and Skills Development Canada. Youth must meet the following requirements: