Booking: All Year
Explore early Health and Medicine of the early settler. Investigate the Good family’s apothecary kit. Learn many silly sickness and health beliefs. Investigate herbs and herbal remedies. Students will have a chance to make a home remedy.
Mr. Carols Concoctions is a cross curricular education program designed for the grade three level. Students will learn about the natural medicine of the early settlers during fun, interactive activities. Students will compare these methods with modern medicine and discover the differences and similarities. Students will enjoy learning some of the silly superstitions of early medicine.
Heritage and Identity: Communities in Canada 1780 – 1850
A1. Application Life in Canada Then and Now
- A1.2: Compare some of the roles of and challenges facing the people in Canada around the beginning of the nineteenth century with those in the present day.
A2: Inquiry: Community Challenges and Adaptations
- A2.1 Formulate questions to guide investigations into some of the major challenges facing different groups and communities in Canada from 1780 – 1850.
- A2.2 Gather and organize information on major challenges facing different groups and communities and on measures taken to address these challenges, using a variety of primary and secondary sources.
Science and Technology
Understanding Life Systems Growth and Changes in Plants
1 Relating Science and Technology to Society and the Environment
- 1.1 Assess ways in which plants are important to humans and other living things.
Understanding Basic Concepts
- 3.5 Describe ways in which humans from various cultures, use plants for medicine.